There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Poetry of Science, a project supported by the Cambridge Arts Council, aims to increase the representation of Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and POC experiences in the fields of poetry, photography, and the sciences.
In this project, Cambridge-based poets of color will collaborate with local scientists of color to create a poem about their research, inspirations as scientists, and their field of study. We will work with a local photographer of color to create portraits of each scientist.
The project will culminate in a public art installation in Cambridge featuring the scientists and poetry. The poetry will be published in an award-winning literary journal and be read at the Boston Book Festival lit crawl.
Scientists are invited to apply through May 1, 2021.
- Provide a biographical sketch. Include a statement outlining your motivations for entering science. This section can include where you were born, where you grew up, experiences that impacted your decision to enter the sciences, and key career milestones or academic accomplishments. Please limit the answer to 350 words.
- Write a lay summary of your research or research interests. For graduate students, postdocs, and faculty members, provide a research summary that can be used by your potential poet collaborator. For undergraduate students, summarize your research interests. Please limit the answer to 250 words.
- Explain why you want to take part in The Poetry of Science given the statement below. Please limit the answer to 150 words.
The Poetry of Science counters the negative associations handed down by systemic racism by creating new and positive associations between people of color (POC), the arts, the sciences, how nature is perceived, and what it means to generate knowledge. In this context, POC offer new ways to understand and create novel realities to resist systems of oppression.
- We will not consider applications sent via email or post. Only applications sent via our submission manager will be reviewed
- Submissions are due by 11:59 pm ET on May 1, 2021. All entrants will be notified of the final decision on their work shortly thereafter.
- Please contact us if you have trouble navigating the submission manager
For more information, please visit our website: www.poetryofscience.org.